Move-Aways / Relocation

In most circumstances, California courts give visitation rights to both the custodial parent and the non-custodial parent. A custodial parent cannot move away or relocate the child without the court's permission because doing so would infringe on the non-custodial parent's visitation. The Law Office of Karen H. Beckman in Orange County handles move away or relocation issues during divorce and post-divorce.

Are you wondering whether you can move with your children after divorce? To schedule an appointment, please call 714-730-9771 or contact the firm online.

Relocations May Require Modifications To Child Custody

Relocation or a move away can occur for many reasons. Relocation is often for personal reasons, such as a new job, an illness in the family or a new school. You may be moving to another city, a nearby county, another state or even a different country. The court's decision to grant the relocation will be based on a number of factors but the main issue for the court is what decision is in the best interest of the child.

Attorney Beckman will inform you of the laws regarding relocation and child custody. Because of the interrelated nature of child custody and relocation, your divorce decree and child custody arrangement will likely need to be modified. Your family law attorney at our law offices will handle all of these issues. Whether you decide to amicably resolve any relocation issues with the other parent or you decide to litigate them in court, lawyer Beckman provides strong advocacy on your behalf.

We Can Explain Your Options

Please call our office at 714-730-9771 to schedule a consultation. You may also contact the firm online.